By far the most visited cheese market in the Netherlands is that of Edam. One of the most popular cheeses, Edam cheese is derived from this city.
The current cheese market is a reconstruction of the market as it was held in Edam until 1922. Musically enlivened by the sounds of an Old Dutch barrel organ and the tones of the Edam cheese chapel.
The cheeses are supplied with historic cheese breads and rowing boats, every Wednesday morning in July and August between 10.30 and 12.30.
Showtimes Cheese Market Edam
On Wednesday mornings in July and August, from 4 July to 22 August, between 10.30 and 12.30. Saturday 11 August night market from 20.30 to 22.00. Each time with a special guest of honor.
For a visit always check the opening hours on the website of the event itself.
Free admission and cheese tasting.
How to travel to Edam form Amsterdam City
By Public transport
Buses from Amsterdam to Edam: 110, 118, 312, 314 or 316. There are no direct train connections to Edam.
If you have a (rental) car the best way to visit the cheese market is by driving. In just 30 minutes from the city center you will be in Edam. You can navigate to Jan van Nieuwenhuizenplein in Edam and follow the sign “parkeren kaasmarkt” which means park for the cheese market.
Hop on Hop off Holland bus
The Hop on Hop off Holland bus is the best way to explore the countryside north of Amsterdam. Every 30 minutes a bus will departure and you can stop at populair places like: Volendam, Zaanse Schans, Cheese farms and of course the famous Edam Cheese Market.
If you want to visit Edam you can get a ticket for the Hop on Hop off Holland bus.
Location Edam Cheese Market
- Cheese market Edam
- Jan van Nieuwenhuizenplein
- 1135 TK Edam
Other Cheese markets
Are you planning to visit the best (flower) activities in Holland? Make sure to check out our most populair articles:
- Everything you want to know about Keukenhof Gardens
- Check out our information about the Flower Parades in Holland
- Visit the Flower Fields in Holland with our tips
- Stay informed about the growing of the flower in Holland with our Flower Reports
- Want to experience the real thing? Visit the best Flower Farms in Holland
- Our tips for the most populair tours from Amsterdam during your stay in Holland
- Get the most out of your visit with our tips for visiting Amsterdam
- The Countryside of Holland: all about Dutch cheese, clogs and windmills
- Is there something special in Holland? Check it out in our events calendar